[Gllug] OT: recommend ADSL2+ modem which doesn't require bridge mode

gvim gvimrc at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 19 23:39:23 UTC 2009

I've been using a D-Link DSL-300G+ successfully with a Netgear RP114 router for years. I passes the public IP straight to the router's WAN port without fuss. However, PlusNet are promising me connection speeds in excess of what this modem can handle so I "upgraded" to the D-LInk DSL-320B. This pile of crap, however, has a DHCP server which interferes with the old simple method of getting an IP to the router's WAN. If you enable DHCP it rules the LAN so no good for a connected firewall/router. If you disable it you don't get your IP forwarded to the router's WAN. The only option left is to set it to bridge mode but then you lose your PPPoA and have to settle for PPPoE on the router which is non-standard for most UK ISPs and could involve comprmises/unknowns.

So, I'm not happy with my upgrade and will be returning it. Anyone know of a decent ADSL2+ modem which uses simple IP forwarding to a connected router's WAN port? I want my modem to be doing the PPPoA-ing, not the router.

gvim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk