[Gllug] Modelines ignored on new GFX card :-(

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Thu Oct 1 15:35:39 UTC 2009

> Modeline "1280x1024" 109.62  1280 1327 1472 1682  1024 1024 1023 1063
> And restarted... nada.
>
> Any idea how I can force the graphics card to start kicking out
> 1280x1024 before the blurry edges give me a migraine?

You need to add DefaultMode under another section (Screen IIRC) ...
where the various Modes are listed (16 bit, 8 bit, etc.).  That will
determine bit-depth.  Then you need to make sure the first resolution
under that section is the resolution that you're after.  Check any
example X11 config to see this...

Depending on your X11 driver it should be possible to change without
restarting X, using a default/VESA driver will cause issues but since
compiz is working I guess that's not the case.

You can also log your X11 output to get more info on why that mode
selection is happening, unsure on your distro but this is often
available in /var/log/X11/... or can be gathered with a manual
 su - user_to_run_x_as startx 1>>/some/log 2>>/some/log

Also IIRC some of the bleeding edge X servers are moving away from
the old style <X11|xorg>.conf entirely... probably not the case for
you though.

Hope that helps (speed vs. clarity I'm afraid! ... @work)

- Walter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk