[Gllug] emulating a pendrive

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Thu Oct 22 15:02:44 UTC 2009

>> I have dvd player which is able to play mp3's, show photos, etc. from
>> files which are stored on a pendrive.
>>
>> Today I came up with the idea that I might be able to connect my (linux)
>> desktop machine to the dvd player via a usb cable, and have the linux
>> machine appear like a giant pendrive to the dvd player.
> Why not connect your linux machine to the TV direct, and use Linux to
> play DVDs etc.
> You could then watch youtube etc. on your TV.

Haha!  Amazing to see the length of this thread and IMHO this is the
first piece of really insightful on-topic advice to have emerged :)

Wireless keyboard + mouse, comfy couch and a big TV screen definitely
works wonders for weary souls.

Also there's some games that are excellent when played this way.

For instance, there is a quality remake of one of the traditional
real-estate-themed board games that only requires mouse input,
so you can just throw about the wireless mouse and voila - an amusing
source of entertainment for a bunch of people - free of the traditional
need to watch out for dodgy bankers, or any setup/cleanup time!

Re: DVD players, small anecdote.  I used to live in China for many years
and there you got burned with DVD region-lock DRM if you bought an
expensive enough player.  Cheaper players were all region-lock free,
with built-in support for ISOs and the major pirate codecs :)  Unsure
if this has hit here in the west yet, as I don't use DVD players.

- Walter

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk