[Gllug] recommendation for external hard drive

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Wed Oct 21 23:16:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 00:12 +0000, Na Nas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to make sure that the external hard drive that I buy does work
> with Ubuntu. I need it to be usb-only-powered and to be portable.
>
> I'd be grateful for any recommendation.

I have a couple of the Western Digital "Passport" drives.  They're
small, robust, powered by USB, relatively cheap, and yet quite
capacious.  I use them with my Acer Aspire One(s), which run Ubuntu
netbook remix (mostly).  I also have the same type of drives at work,
and they have been extensively used, thrown into briefcases, banged
around in transit on the Tube, and haven't had any problems whatsoever.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk