[Gllug] Firefox

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Wed Oct 28 11:05:42 UTC 2009

>> On a related note, as a quick hack to support a shared home
>> between mutually distinct boxes, try remounting your
>> /mnt/nfs/shared-home/.mozilla (or whatever the preferences
>> dir is called) with tmpfs (or similar), then copy in any
>> config you wish to use.  You can even edit the SQLite DBs
>> by writing a little tool in any SQLite-supporting language.
>> Works a treat!  (I actually remount the whole shared home,
>> but that's more to support one large read-only nfs mount
>> of my diskless images.  A custom script performs a
>> series of remounts early in system startup...)

> Just .... no.

What's your issue with this?

Yes you lose state, but then on diskless nodes that's my
goal.  Actually this has been a great working config
in an asterisk-based commercial call center for >1 year
with no problems.

We have a custom diskless image boot via NFS, single sign-on
X11, asterisk for VOIP, web interface (firefox), hylafax,
jabberd2 XMPP (intranet IM) etc... almost couldn't be easier.
There are no technical personnel AT ALL on site, the biggest issue
we ever had was someone forgetting to pay the internet bill.

Diskless setups can be GREAT once you get them working, though
admittedly you need to be a very particular kind of environment
for this to make sense.

+1 for efficiency!

Scales for $nothing!  Any hardware welcome!

Just .. YES!

- Walter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk