[Gllug] wicd manager

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Mon Oct 19 06:12:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-19 at 04:12 +0100, Rob Crowther wrote:
> Christopher Hunter wrote:
> > the home, their "20 Mb/s" is actually < 5 Mb/s with the occasional burst
> > to >10 Mb/s, and their "unlimited" service is actually stringently
> > capped at a point that prevents the reliable and timely download of
> > distro disks...
> >
> I'm in Barnet rather than Camden, but I'm quite happy with the speed VM
> goes at.  Though I'm not usually on much in the 6-10PM weekday peak
> times, it's noticeably faster than the 8Mb/s ADSL we were supposed to
> have before.  Also have managed to download gigs of stuff without seeing
> any caps.  The main problem I have with them is that the DNS service
> drops out from time to time, now I have the OpenDNS IPs in a text file
> and I update my resolv.conf whenever that happens.

You're probably their only happy customer!  (Or perhaps you work for
them?)  Their cap comes in at (roughly) 1 Gb/day, and their "20 Mb/sec"
customers are limited to <2 Mb/sec at best.  They claim an "unlimited"
service, which is patently untrue.

The fact that their DNS falls over periodically is probably due to the
flaky "Phorm" software that they claim isn't installed (though they DO
ship details of your browsing habits to third parties, even though they
persist in claiming that they don't).

In my extensive experience with that crowd of cretins, the only people
claiming "wonderful" levels of service were shills employed by VM, and
who had to put favourable comments in newsgroups and blogs.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk