[Gllug] OT: old router as switch or buy dedicated switch

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Fri Oct 16 08:28:40 UTC 2009

Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> writes:

> No, you won't. DHCP is explicitly designed to allow multiple
> independent DHCP servers on each subnet that don't communicate
> with each other.

They still need to be configured correctly. Hilarity will ensue if both
dhcp servers are configured to use different subnets or routes, and for
that matter I don't remember the SOHO router which lets you specify
anything more than the dynamic range and possibly some static
hosts. They certainly don't allow you to set a different default route.

Back to the original question, using a router's in-built switch as a
plain switch is usually harmless. They tend to be just a regular switch
with an internal port attached to the router's nic.

I have done just this in the past - in fact the router was also in use
as a adsl modem at the time, passing the ppp traffic to one of the hosts
attached to the switch which then acted as the router.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk