[Gllug] Samba - Add Active Directory User to UNIX Group?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Fri Oct 9 14:27:36 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 02:28:52PM +0100, James wrote:

> This is exactly how I have our server setup, there are no other servers
> to worry about it is just a small office.
>
> Typing getent passwd lists domain and local usernames on my server also,
> so how can I add a Domain User to a Linux group?

By editing the group file directly (best done via vigr or 'vipw -g') is
one way.  You generally can't use usermod, because it's tied too
specifically to the local Linux system.  You can use gpasswd instead,
though.  On Debian, you can type

	adduser user group

because the adduser script uses gpasswd.

--
Bruce

Hierophant: someone who remembers, when you are on the way down,
everything you did to them on the way up.