[Gllug] [Gllugadmin] South England LUG meeting at Hursley in the spring of 2010?

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 17 08:35:41 UTC 2009

2009/10/15 Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk>:

> I think that it also depends on who you ask. If you look at what
> experienced Linux people use you are likely to find what you did ...
> they have been using Linux for years and will stick with what they know.
>
> Newer people are more likely to use something like Ubuntu or Linux mint.

Alain, that is a very sweeping generalisation.
I have been managing Linux systems for something like 15 years, and
find the choice of distribution is led by applications and econdly
compatibility with the rest of your estate (not binary compatibility
per se, more tools and utilities for install and upgrades).

In my case, my first machine was Slackware, brought about by Sun
switching to Solaris and unbundling the free C compiler - like a lot
of academics we then looked at gcc seriously. Then I went on to use
Redhat at home and when putting linux boxes in at the Framestore in
Soho. I then went on to SuSE when installing an early Opteron Bewoulf
- SuSE was the first distro with an x86-64 distro, and employed
someone explicitly for this, who in fact came to talk to GLLUG. I've
stuck with SuSE ever since, as ISV type codes (ie commercial codes for
scientific/engineering applications) are always certified for it, and
SuSE support for large machine features is excellent.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk