[Gllug] wicd manager

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 22:05:05 UTC 2009

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Caroline Ford wrote:

> She said that the traceroute she sent wasn't when using the wifi

Oh, missed that sorry.

> (and therefore wasn't useful).

Except as you point out later in another excellent post :) in showing
the issue isn't with VM as crap as they might be.

> When she tried the traceroute using her wifi only she got a DNS error.

Using traceroute -n could help, probably also need the destination to be
ip only too.  Basically assume DNS is the issue (isn't it always?) and
start there, going though my email.

> She had said previously that she had an IP address for eth1 but we
> havn't checked whether that was with the Ethernet cable connected and
> hence whether that could be the Ethernet.

I suspect if the ethernet cable were left in, everything would be
apparently working.  It would be handy if it's getting as far as dhcp
but I fear this will be yet another nasty wifi chipset and binary blob
issue again.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk