[Gllug] wicd manager

Frank Scott lists at frasco.org.uk
Sun Oct 25 20:34:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 01:59:23PM -0400, Lucy Peters wrote:

> I have logged in and disabled the DHCP server but still not able to go online with the wireless router.
>
> ping -n 192.168.0.1
>
> PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
>
> 64 bytes from 192.168.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=127 time=1.48 ms

..
> ^C
>
> --- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics ---
>
> 7 packets transmitted, 7 received, 0% packet loss, time 6008ms
>
> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.259/1.612/2.090/0.324 ms
>

> cat /etc/resolv.conf
>
> nameserver 192.168.0.1

I have no experience of using cable modems or the DI-624, but it would
seem to me that if you're using the router 192.168.0.1 as your nameserver,
then you must either set the DI-624 to use a Virgin supplied dynamic address or
supplied static one.

Can you tell us what the setting on the D-Link browser page Home->WAN is
for the Dynamic IP Address, Static IP address entries are?
Since I suspect that Virgin always uses dynamic addresses, if you select
Dynamic IP address, Virgin will automatically supply your dynamic IP and the DNS
server addresses.

If you've got a static address, you must input your static address and
at least one DNS server.

I think the DHCP server setting is a red-herring since your ipconfig address is
in the default range offered by the DI-624. i reckon that you can
safely re-enable the DHCP server option.

As I said, I am lucky to have no experience of Virgin, but I suspect that
you might have to tick the PPPoE box. If I'm wrong I'm sure that all the
dedicated Virginistas on the list will correct me ;-)

fcs

--
    /V\    : ;`  :   Frank Scott  Sutton, London
  /(   )\  `. ''`    frank at frank-scott.me.uk
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk