[Gllug] recommendation for external hard drive

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed Oct 21 21:59:09 UTC 2009

Hari Sekhon wrote:
> general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
>
>> Build one yourself if you care about what's in it, it may cost a little
>> more but...
>>

> lol.
>
>> In addition to Maxtor I'd give a wide berth
>> to Deskstars too - they're not known as 'Deathstars' for nothing!
>>

> Didn't they fix the reliability of those in the newer drives? I thought
> I read that somewhere but I could be mistaken...
>
> -h

Not as far as I can tell, had a fairly recent one in a few weeks ago,
user said it's never been outside her office or taken a knock and now
all it does is go CLANK, brrrrr, CLANK, brrrrr, CLANK... Have had
several failed/failing 2.5" ones come in this year. Admittedly this is
hardly proof, being cheap drives there are proportionally more of them
in circulation, but I see so many bad ones I find it hard to trust them.

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk