[Gllug] Samba - Add Active Directory User to UNIX Group?

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Fri Oct 9 12:33:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 12:21:59PM +0100, Alain wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 11:19:18AM +0100, KJS wrote:
> > Having poked around on google I have found that most people are saying
> > you need to do this from the Active Directory server, but how is the AD
> > server going to be aware of the Groups on my Linux server??
>
> It won't -- add them all in AD.

Active directory doesn't have to be aware of groups on the local linux
box, as long as the linux box can resolve domain user names to local
uids.  Hence winbind.

If the groups need to be meaningful on more than one Linux box, *then*
use AD groups.  Still use winbind.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.