[Gllug] VACANCY: Southern Records is looking for an experienced network administrator to do some consulting

Damon Allen Davison allolex at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 15:20:39 UTC 2009

Hiya,

My partner and I run Southern Records. In addition to being a label and
distributor for about 30 years now, we've been providing IT services to
other music businesses, as well as doing everything for ourselves. That has
resulted in a pure Unix environment running on Linux (SLES/Ubuntu) and Mac
OS X. One of our clients' needs have grown beyond what we can provide, so
they will be hiring someone as a full-time network administrator. (You can
talk to me about that position, if you're interested. It has almost the same
basic requirements as the consulting work I describe below.)

I'm capable of running (nearly) everything under normal circumstances, but
it's a whole lot of work, and there are technologies I'm not particularly
expert in and I really don't have the time to learn. My current network
admin is going and I need to make sure that Bad Things don't happen when he
does.

I need someone with a background in the Unix systems above and some pretty
solid experience managing mail systems (Exim, Sendmail, Cyrus). You should
also know DNS and DHCP, be proficient in TCP/IP and routing technologies and
have experience with Perl and Shell scripting. Your skills should also
include working with Cisco switches, IRIX (6.5), BSD, LDAP, Apache 2,
Kerberos, VMWare, serial communications and cabling.

We're looking for someone, perhaps a couple of people, who charge around
£110-160 per day, depending on experience and what the market will bear.
We're an independent record company, so not completely flush. There are
fringe benefits, though, which we can discuss if the basic scenario appeals
to you.

There will be pretty regular work over the next six to ten months, if all
goes according to plan.

I'm looking forward to your replies (off-list, of course).

Best,

-d.

--
Damon Allen Davison

You can use my work address or the one I'm using to post this.

TLD com USER my first name DOMAIN southern