[Gllug] 2.6.31 is out

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Sun Sep 13 18:28:38 UTC 2009

John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> writes:

> 2009/9/13 Matthew King <matthew.king at monnsta.net>:
>> Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson at gmail.com> writ
>> Debian (and therefore Ubuntu) have facilities to create package files
>> from a pristine kernel source. I don't know what they'd do about support
>> but I doubt you'd be turned away.
>>

> If I'm not wrong, you can create and install a kernel package in all
> distros - not meaning to be argumentative here, but it never occurred
> to me that you could not do this.

Well yes, I meant that the process was a) simple, and b) produced a
distribution package rather than just a collection of files. This then
plays nicely with the boot loader, initrd, etc. which Debian likes to
use these days.

I believe it's just: untar; create .config (make menuconfig); make-kpkg.

I've not tried asking, but I suspect most Debian members (insert rant
about the sort of people who join an open source support group to deride
those requesting support) would be as happy to support those packages as
any other.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk