[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Sun Sep 6 21:13:47 UTC 2009

2009/9/6 Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk>

> On 6 Sep 2009, at 21:08, James Laver wrote:
> [...]
> > Of the people I know with genuine, real clue, about half of them have
> > degrees.
>
> How do you know whether or not those people do or do not have degrees?
> Many people assume I have a degree, for example.
>
> > Attending lectures for 3 years does not make you good with
> > computers, especially in these days when we have widely available
> > internet resources for people to learn from.
>
> I'm not sure that Wikipedia is a substitute for a well-structured
> programme of learning :)
>
> > On the other hand I'm
> > interested as to what percentage of people with clue are more inclined
> > to take a degree (coming at it from the other angle).
>

> People with Clue are likely to take on any challenge which interests
> them, including obtaining a degree. However, a CS degree isn't likely
> to be much fun for somebody who is already in the industry, as they'll
> have advanced beyond that level already.
>
> I've been contemplating going to the Open University, partly for the
> intellectual stimulation and partly to avoid awkwardness when people
> ask me about my degree, but haven't really picked a subject yet. I
> might not even go for a science.

I'd advise anyone who works in IT to get a degree in something or other, the
subject they choose won't make a lot of difference. What it will do is help
to get your CV past over-zealous HR departments that have been told that the
company only wants graduates. Without a degree your CV will never reach
anyone capable of understanding what you can do.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com