[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Sep 9 13:05:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 13:34 +0100, Hari Sekhon wrote:
> Still, working and having a council property is a hugely uneven playing
> field against the rest of the hopeless young professionals spending
> their lives living in shared accommodation...

Why? Those young professionals are as able as anyone else to apply for
social housing and, if they qualify, to obtain it subject to
availability and that "subject to ability" bit applies to everyone
seeking social housing.

Social housing is also becoming more and more expensive with rents
increasing at a rate more than 500% of inflation.

> Not talking about inflation readjustments which are trivial beyond the
> worth of mentioning, I'm talking about the incentive for working hard
> towards your next £5K pay rise (and you really need to count in at least
> fives if you want to get anywhere in England these days with house
> prices as they are now)

Very few people will be seeing £5K pay rises now unless they are moving
job.

> 3 million people in council estates and growing is not a small element
> though, it's a future generational disaster unfolding.

I strongly disagree. Social housing is not in itself the basis for any
kind of generational disaster. The lack of any kind of affordable
housing for the poorest parts of society however would be.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk