[Gllug] Intermittent Network Loss on Centos Web Server

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 23 19:47:05 UTC 2009

2009/9/23 Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk>:
> On 22 Sep 2009, George Siddiqui stated:
>> Sep 22 09:25:34 myserver kernel: eth1: Tigon3 [partno(BCM95703A30) rev
>> 1002] (PCIX:100MHz:64-bit) MAC address*************
>
> As an aside: PCI-X? I don't think I've *ever* seen a machine with that.
> Perhaps I just haven't been looking hard enough...

If I'm not reaching early senility (entirely possible) PCI-X cards
were common in Beowulf clusters. For instance, Myrinet cards were/are
PCI-X parts.

Another old war story - there were PCI-100 and PCI-133 variants, and
the slots on the motherboard could have different speeds. Cue customer
complaining that the performance wansnt JUST as fast as they would
expect.  Cue technicians being dispatched on a trip Up North to swap
over oodles of cards to another slot.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk