[Gllug] Installing Linux on a Mac Mini - boot sequence

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Sep 5 15:05:02 UTC 2009

John Edwards wrote:
> The main difference between an Intel Mac and most other PCs is that
> the Macs use EFI for booting instead of the old BIOS.
>
> If the version of GRUB you are using does not support EFI booting
> (grub2 or grub-efi I think), then you could try using elilo or rEFIt
> instead.

I've tried grub2. grub-efi and rEFIt so far, without success.  rEFIt
claims to be able to do it, but fails silently.

The essential problem seems to be getting whatever resides in ROM (or
flash or whatever) on the Mac to load the first thing.  It's that part
of the sequence I particularly want to find documentation for.

> The Ubuntu Intel Mac FAQ may help:
> 	http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1046568

Looks like lots of good pointers there - thank you.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk