[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 09:30:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Hari Sekhon<hpsekhon at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm surprised we're talking about degrees any more these days,
> especially in a practical job like IT, I thought everyone already
> figured out that degrees were a waste of time and money?

At a guess, you don't have a degree. They're far from a waste of time
and money. Certainly at the time I did mine, a degree in computer
science equipped you to deal with the world of IT far better than
learning on the job, and consequently, I'd always hire someone with a
relevant degree in preference to an equivalently skilled applicant
without one. Although that said, having seen the ineptitude of some
recent candidates with first class honours in computer science, I have
to wonder what on earth they're teaching them these days...

Tet

--
The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to
understand the exponential function -- Albert Bartlett
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk