[Gllug] Translations between English and Chinese

Caroline Ford caroline.ford.work at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 21 14:42:49 UTC 2009

On 21 Sep 2009, at 13:17, Jason Clifford <jason at ukfsn.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-09-21 at 13:07 +0100, Chris Bell wrote:
>>   I have been asked to meet a gentleman from China to discuss
>> technical
>> problems. I only speak English, he only speaks Chinese. Is there an
>> easy way
>> to translate on screen, for example using ktranslator and locale,
>> preferably
>> using Debian Lenny? Even single words would help.
>
> Check to see whether you need translation for Mandarin or Cantonese.
> If
> he is from mainland China it's probably the former but they are not
> the
> same language so make sure you know which you need.
>
> Jason
> --
> I've just started learning Mandarin

If it is written then the two varieties are simplified and
traditional. China uses simplified and Taiwan uses traditional.

If it is spoken there are a number of different languages that use the
same writing system of which Mandarin and Cantonese are two of the
biggest.

Wikipedia has more info.

Caroline

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk