[Gllug] SmartDevices SmartQ

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Sep 4 13:42:54 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 12:11:59AM +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 13:17 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > On 09/03/2009 12:14 PM, Richard Jones wrote:
> > > Anyone got/tried one of these babies (linked from LWN today):
> > >
> > > http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.26366
> > >

> > I'd guess the n810 from Nokia makes a better all around package, comes
> > with gps and a massive repo of stuff already working, and you can get
> > that off the net these days for about £120
> >
> > --
> > Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/  : 2522219 at icq
>
> I've been playing with a pre-production Nokia N900 - it's an iPhone
> killer!
>
> The Nokias outperform any of the SmartQ devices, and have phone
> facilities as well.
>
> Apple won't be able to give their phones away when the new Nokia is
> released.  It works well as a phone (unlike the iPhone which has
> appalling receive sensitivity), has an excellent camera (unlike the
> iPhone), has huge memory (32 Gb on the one I'm trying), has LOTS of
> applications (all of which are FREE) and the OS seems very stable
> (unlike the persistent "lock-ups" with the iPhone).  The initial release
> price will be quite high, but it's sure to come down as they become
> trendy and more common!

I'm always dubious about "iPhone killers".  My wife has a Samsung
TouchWiz (or Omnia?) which has been branded an "iPhone killer" too.
It's shockingly bad.  I mean, the software is embarrassing.  I
actually can't believe they released it in that state.

I also played with a Nokia touchscreen phone which was better than the
Samsung, but still nothing compared to the iPhone in terms of finish
and sheer usability.

The version of Maemo on my N770 is ancient history, so I don't want to
draw any conclusions, but it was terrible in 2005.

FWIW my iPhone has never locked up, and is about the cheapest phone
I've ever had.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones