[Gllug] Installing Linux on a Mac Mini - boot sequence

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Sat Sep 5 13:04:50 UTC 2009

John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> writes:

> Matthew King wrote:
> [snip]
>> It has OS X (hda5) and Debian (hda6/8), with space for OS 9 (hda3)
>> should I want to experience some extreme pain later. You'll notice
>> there's an Apple_Bootstrap and Apple_Boot. I've no idea why there are
>> two and I don't know why hda7 needs to be nearly 250MB (amusingly, it's
>> exactly 256000512 bytes), but if you want them as images I can send them
>> to you. The big one doesn't compress much.
>
> Thanks, but the boot configuration of the PowerPC Macs seems to be quite
> different from the Intel Macs.  I've installed Linux on a PowerPC one
> before, but this is my first attempt on Intel.  I don't think the
> PowerPC boot partitions would help.
>
> My problem is I assumed that as it was Intel it would be just like a PC.
>  Foolish me.  I'm still hunting for information.

I think Intel's advertising has made me immune and I simply don't see
the word 'Intel' anywhere. I read 'Intel Mac Mini' as simply 'Mac Mini'
in your original post.

If you find out the difference between a normal PC and an apple PC, do
let us know.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk