[Gllug] spam filter

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Wed Sep 9 09:11:02 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-09-06 at 17:13 +0100, Benjamin Donnachie wrote:
> I found that SPF and DKIM blocked too many legitimate messages, for
> example the "send to a friend" link on the BBC website, and ended up
> disabling it.

Neither system blocks anything. They are simply systems to provide
advisory information about a domain and it is up to the operator of the
MTA at the receiving end to employ them in a suitable manner.

Sure there are idiots out there who are blocking based entirely on those
sources of data but that is not a fault with the data source but rather
it is a fault between the chair and computer where the MTA is being
managed. Those systems do have issues of their own but that's a separate
issue.

Properly used they provide a way to give a hint so as to help operators
of MTAs to design their systems to incorporate the data provided as part
of a larger email platform protection methodology.

Here at UKFSN the data is used for scoring purposes in our email
filtering system for those customers who chose to use it. Neither SPF
nor DKIM alone provide enough data for our systems to determine a
message is likely to be spam but that's not a big problem as such
messages usually get picked up due to many spam signature matches.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk