[Gllug] Does one need Rsync server to use Rsync?

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Fri Sep 4 08:16:00 UTC 2009

On 04/09/2009 03:40, Hong Chyr wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Something I can't get my head around. I've been using rsync to sync
> files locally, and over SSH (using the "rsync -e 'ssh -l username -i
> id_rsa'<source>  <dest>").
>
> Now, having read the rsync document over and over again, I can't seem to
> figure out, why do the need for an Rsync (or rsync daemon)  server to do
> rsync? Is it really necessary? What's the advantage over just using
> Rsync as a commandline program?

Nope, rsync has a "--daemon" option you can pass which, also given a
suitable config file, will drop into the background listening on port
831 by default.  There's no separate binary for the d.

The advantage of doing this is when your data is going over a trusted
network, or it's data that's not sensitive, as then you save the effort
of a layer of cryto.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk