[Gllug] The total cost of ownership to Ealing Council

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Tue Sep 1 10:01:42 UTC 2009

On Tue 01 Sep, - Tethys wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Chris Bell<chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org> wrote:
>
> >   Ealing council have put the direct plus indirect cost of a single virus
> > attack to their IT system at 500,000. It was introduced via a memory stick.
>
> One has to wonder why they allowed memory sticks to be connected in
> the first place...
>
> Tet

   My experience has been that they had banned all unauthorised access via
any medium, but apparently this has been re-emphasized in further staff
training. Even councillors were issued with laptops and very strict
instructions. The council IT contractors appear to be absolutely petrified
at the thought of any Unix compatible system getting anywhere near.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk