[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Sep 7 09:42:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 01:21:55AM +0100, James Laver wrote:
> Then there's the real world experience. While I haven't been at
> university, I've had the opportunities to work on some projects that
> solve interesting problems (making code scale for a start). I'm having
> fun working on Foose, an effort that brings some of the functional
> niceties to perl that have long been enjoyed by languages such as lisp
> and haskell (which I'm a big fan of, and I probably wouldn't be if I'd
> had it forced down my neck in the wrong way at university). I don't
> think I'd be doing any of this in university, I think I'd be wasting
> my time writing the aforementioned half-dictionary in java with
> $framework_du_jour_that_goes_out_of_fashion_tomorrow.

Sure I don't think I'm denying that real world experience is also
useful.  I worked as a programmer and hardware designer for a year
before going to university, and then all through the holidays, and
that taught me a huge number of useful things.

I also did a first degree which was mainly in pure mathematics.  I
then did an MSc "conversion" in computer science, in fact this one:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/computing/teaching/postgraduate/msc-computing-science/description

I will note that this MSc is *seriously* hard work.  It may not sound
like it from the description above.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones