[Gllug] Installing Linux on a Mac Mini - boot sequence

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sat Sep 5 13:23:35 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 11:51:54AM +0100, John Winters wrote:
<snip>
> Thanks, but the boot configuration of the PowerPC Macs seems to be quite
> different from the Intel Macs.  I've installed Linux on a PowerPC one
> before, but this is my first attempt on Intel.  I don't think the
> PowerPC boot partitions would help.
>
> My problem is I assumed that as it was Intel it would be just like a PC.
>  Foolish me.  I'm still hunting for information.

I have not installed Debian Lenny onto an Intel Mac Mini, but have
installed Ubuntu 8.04 over a year ago. I don't remember having to
do anything special to get it to boot. It is possible that Ubuntu
did something automatically that Debian requires you to do manually.

The main difference between an Intel Mac and most other PCs is that
the Macs use EFI for booting instead of the old BIOS.

If the version of GRUB you are using does not support EFI booting
(grub2 or grub-efi I think), then you could try using elilo or rEFIt
instead.

The Ubuntu Intel Mac FAQ may help: