[Gllug] Tab-complete and cursor keys in SSH sessions?

Robert McKay robert at mckay.com
Tue Sep 29 13:38:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 1:36 PM, Bruce Richardson <itsbruce at workshy.org>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:42:33PM +0100, Robert wrote:
> > >

> > If you didn't list it twice then you would get a list of suid files on
> the
> > filesystem that weren't in the suid.orig file combined with a list of
> files
> > in the suid.orig file that dont exist on the filesystem. So err.. I guess
> it
> > stops it from harassing you after you fail to update the suid.orig file.
>
> Nope.  You were nearly there, but you missed it.  Uniqueness is
> imporant; under what circumstances should I expect to see unique
> filenames in that sorted list?

I think you may actually be missing it.. or more likely misunderstanding
me..

If all the files exist on the filesystem (stdin - ) and in the suid.orig
file then they won't be unique and won't trigger a cron email (regardless of
whether you cat suid.orig once or twice).

The effect of repeating suid.orig then is to ensure they you are never
emailed about files that are in the suid.orig file, but are not on the disk
(since if they were on the disk and once in the file you won't be mailed
about them anyway and either way you will still be mailed about files which
exist on the disk that are not in the file).

That means by cating suid.orig twice, you can safely delete suid files from
the disk without bothering to update the suid.orig file and won't receive
any emails about that.

Rob.