[Gllug] Tab-complete and cursor keys in SSH sessions?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sat Sep 26 04:54:28 UTC 2009

Peter Corlett wrote:
> On 26 Sep 2009, at 00:38, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> [...]
>
>> When I SSH into another machine I've noticed the cursor keys don't act
>> as they do in my normal terminal (gnome-terminal) and hitting tab
>> seems
>> to just print a control/escape character rather than completing the
>> line. I assume other cool stuff such as Ctrl+r will also not work.
>>

> How curious. From that description, I'd suspect a mad terminal
> emulator, or broken pty support on the remote system.
>
> Can you show us the output of "echo $TERM", "tty" and "stty" on both
> the local and remote systems?

Sure, thanks for helping!

Local...

r0g at steppa:~$ echo $TERM
xterm
r0g at steppa:~$ tty
/dev/pts/1
r0g at steppa:~$ stty
speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
eol = M-^?; eol2 = M-^?; swtch = M-^?;
ixany iutf8

Remote...

$ echo $TERM
xterm
$ tty
/dev/pts/0
$ stty
speed 38400 baud; line = 0;
eol = M-^?; eol2 = M-^?;
-brkint ixany

Any useful clues in that?

When I type into the remote terminal the...

right cursor prints "^[[C",
the left prints "^[[D",
Tab actually tabs along ~ 8 chars,
Ctrl+R prints "^R".

The remote points are a stripped down custom Ubuntu Jaunty live CDs from
which I've removed all the X and Gnome packages. Might I have
accidentally removed something which has messed this up? If so what
packages might I need to reinstall?

Thanks for getting back to me :)

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk