[Gllug] 2.6.31 is out

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sun Sep 13 14:50:23 UTC 2009

On 13 Sep 2009, John Hearns stated:

> In a more full answer to your question, I am enthused about this
> announcement because features like that eventually will make their way
> through to the Enterprise distributions.

It might take almost a decade to propagate down through all the
enterprise RHEL distros though :/ 'cos you just *know* that people will
be complaining about performance on ancient hardware which either doesn't
support performance counters at all or is running RHEL 2.1 or something
like that...

Still, it'll certainly improve things in the end.

In addition to the perfcounters, we have CUSE (finally, good OSS
emulation with proper software mixing support!), Radeon KMS (not
terribly exciting to users unless you change video modes all the time,
but the Right Way To Do This), and fsnotify, which may finally in time
allow people to write a decent always-up-to-date locate(1) that doesn't
require gross abuses of the LSM API like rlocate (I think it was) did.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk