[Gllug] Video editing

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 11:14:38 UTC 2009

So the discussion about a junior sysadmin vacancy drifted slightly
offtopic to the benefits of a university education, but now seems to
have gone off towards a full on political debate. I'm not really
interested (or rather, I am, but not in discussing it here).

So in an attempt to drag things back on topic, I need to edit some
video. I would have thought my needs were fairly simple. I want to cut
off the start and end of the video. I want to have a static image that
I'll use as a splash screen. I want that displayed for a few seconds,
and then to fade that into the video itself. To me, that doesn't sound
like it should be too taxing. So what's the best application to use?

So far, I've tried:

- avidemux
- kino
- lives

None of them seem to make this easy. Any alternatives I should be
looking at? Any pointers on how to do it using one of the three I've
already tried?

Tet

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk