[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 1 09:18:14 UTC 2009

Alison Young wrote:
> Peter Corlett wrote:
>
>> On 28 Aug 2009, at 13:48, James Pearson wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> Salary: Up to £18k
>>> Location: Soho, London
>>>
>> Good luck with that...
>>
> My only quibble about the advert is the use of the phrase "A degree is
> not required", since that does slightly implies "... but we'll hire
> someone with a degree over someone without" and I wonder how many people
> without degrees would then not bother applying since they know they
> wouldn't have a hope (unaware that anyone with a degree wouldn't bother
> applying for a salary that low).
I'm surprised we're talking about degrees any more these days,
especially in a practical job like IT, I thought everyone already
figured out that degrees were a waste of time and money?

On a lot of job ads they seem to be flexible, realizing it's better to
just concentrate on experience/skills because they want someone who can
do things for them and hanging a framed certificate by their desk isn't
going to help with that?

The problem with this even as a first job even is that they'll lose the
person very quickly anyway, free market economics an' all that.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
http://www.linkedin.com/in/harisekhon