[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 6 19:58:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, 06 Sep 2009 20:00:38 +0100 Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> > They are churning out endless streams of Java programmers... How
> > many Java jobs are there out there?
>
> Not so many anymore. This is why universities *shouldn't* track the
> real world closely: if they teach specific languages that are needed
> *now*, the graduate will be screwed in a few years when fashions
> shift.
>
> Instead they should try to impart the fundamentals of the discipline,
> things that are needed *no matter what language you are using*, and
> introduce you to a lot of varied languages so you get used to the
> variety and to learning new ones.

I thought the reason that they taught Java was that it's the simplest
language with which to teach object-oriented programming. In other
words, it's not the language, it's how to approach a problem that's
being taught. Not that I have any contact with IT teachers, so I might
have got the wrong impression,

--
 All the best,
 John