[Gllug] Digital Picture frames as network monitoring tools

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed Sep 2 12:09:55 UTC 2009

tid wrote:
> Thanks, Isabell. I've done what I should have done sooner and
> researched these - they all appear to be reading memory
> sticks now, rather than the earlier USB model a friend had. Maybe
> I'll find a cheap chumby on ebay...
>
> Tid
>
> 2009/9/2 Isabell Long <isabell121 at gmail.com>:
>
>> 2009/9/2 tid <td at bloogaloo.co.uk>:
>>
>>> Anyone have any experience of these things? I assume they're USB & some
>>> app to download the pictures...
>>>
>> Well we bought one for my grandparents and they haven't touched it,
>> but they're useful.  The one we bought was cheap from Argos last
>> Christmas and you basically insert a memory card (say, from a camera)
>> and then it loads all the photos from that and you leave it in there
>> and they play in an endless loop until you turn it off.  And you have
>> to plug it into the mains.  I don't know if they've changed at all,
>> but that's the main way of looking at your photos that I've had
>> experience of, don't know if they do work through USB.  :)
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Isabell Long.  <isabell121 at gmail.com>
>> [[User:Isabell121]] on all public Wikimedia projects.
>> Freenode Community Co-Ordinator - issyl0 on irc.freenode.net
>> PGP Key ID: 0xB6CA6840
>> --

CPC are selling wireless ones for £65 + VAT + Shipping. Apparently the
units connect via wifi and have their own email address. I'm not sure
if  you could set them to poll as frequently as you'd like though or if
there's a mechanism for removing obsolete images via email however it
can also connect via USB (I'm assuming as a mass storage device) and
it's almost certainly running linux inside so if needs be maybe you
could hack it to suit!

http://cpc.farnell.com/estarling/wpf288w/tft-picture-frame-8-wireless-white/dp/CS1591634?Ntt=cs1591634

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk