[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sun Sep 13 14:28:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-09-13 at 14:53 +0100, Nix wrote:
> On 11 Sep 2009, Avi Greenbury said:
>
> > On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 00:28:33 +0100
> > Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org> wrote:
> >> Well - indulge your "social conscience" and buy some food for the
> >> people living rough in London.  Not one of them will thank you for
> >> it,
> >
> > IME, they're generally very grateful.
>
> Christopher's never tried it, has he?

I have.  I worked for several Christmases at "Crisis", temporarily
housing, feeding and providing basic medical care for the indigent.

More recently, I gave it up when it became obvious that we were doing no
good whatsoever - the whole scheme was just turned into a promotion for
the various "celebrities" who would turn up for an hour or two, show
their "caring" sides by dishing up some food, and then bugger off
leaving the REAL volunteers to do the REAL work.

I now offer my time to other organisations who actually do some real
good without broadcasting the details of their efforts.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk