[Gllug] 2.6.31 is out

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Sep 13 14:37:43 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 02:59:01PM +0100, Matthew King wrote:
> Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Just out of interest, what do you do if you want to run the latest and
> > greatest kernel?  If you're running one of the 'Enterprise' flavours
> > of Linux, there won't be a package, and if you build your own from
> > scratch I'd be surprised if you'd then be offered any support.  Do you
> > run Gentoo or Slackware, or something that is supportive / encouraging
> > of DIY solutions?  Or do you just go ahead an build your own anyway?
>
> Debian (and therefore Ubuntu) have facilities to create package files
> from a pristine kernel source. I don't know what they'd do about support
> but I doubt you'd be turned away.

Of course Fedora and RHEL let you build and install your own packages,
including kernels.  However we don't support binaries that we don't
ship, and that is simply because it is supremely difficult to support
random kernels (not at a price people would want to pay).

What you *can* do however is to contact Red Hat support and point out
some particular feature in 2.6.31 that you wish to use.  Our engineers
would then backport this particular feature into the RHEL 5 kernel
(which is 2.6.18 + lots of backported features), or into RHEL 6 which
is due out soonish.

Alternately, since this is all open source, you can hire your own
engineers and do it in-house.  Not an option that Microsoft give you.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat