[Gllug] Tab-complete and cursor keys in SSH sessions?

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 17:00:49 UTC 2009

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:

> When I SSH into another machine I've noticed the cursor keys don't act
> as they do in my normal terminal (gnome-terminal) and hitting tab
> seems to just print a control/escape character rather than completing
> the line. I assume other cool stuff such as Ctrl+r will also not work.

Do you have job control?  Does running "sleep 10" and pressing ^Z work ?

Your description could be one of many things including lack of job
control, lets rule that one out.

Of course how you got your remote boxes in that state would be an
interesting question, but if you have a box where escape chars do what
you expect, try connecting to it with ssh workingbox tcsh -i to compare
against tcsh*.

Damion

*yes you're probably using bash but this shows the situation.  Also,
weirdly csh seems to be csh rather than tcsh now in hardy!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk