[Gllug] Tab-complete and cursor keys in SSH sessions?

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sun Sep 27 22:35:23 UTC 2009

--------

Nix writes:

>You can decompile it into textual form with 'infocmp', and turn that
>back into binary with the *obviously* related command 'tic'. (What
>nutcase thought up these names, I've long wondered...)

To be fair, tic is terminfo compiler, which makes sense. Admittedly,
infocmp is a little more obscure, but its primary purpose is to
compare terminfo entries[1], and in that light, it makes sense. The
fact that if you only supply one terminal type, it has nothing to
compare to and thus prints out the terminal description is almost
accidental.

Tet

[1] Then again, it's questionable how useful this is. In over 2 decades
    of using Unix, I've only ever needed to do it a couple of times,
    but decompiling a terminfo entry into something human readable is
    a *far* more frequent activity.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk