[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 1 14:38:18 UTC 2009

Alain Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 02:43:00PM +0100, Martin N Stevens wrote:
>

>> As for the best programmers, thats a matter of style. Some of the cleverest
>> programmers code barely worked, whereas
>> some of the best code I have seen has come from sysadmins, In fact I totally
>> believe that most programmers should work
>> on the support desk for thier software at some point, and this is what I
>>

> +1 - this teaches programmers to write maintainable & understandable code & documentation.

Certainly I've observed a lack of well rounded skills that affect code
quality, especially with regards to security, reliability, maintenance
and industry best practices among a lot of programmers who are otherwise
intelligent enough people, but just haven't been taught these things
from their universities and also have failed to get them from the
working environment and often cite things like security not being their
realm, which is a fundamental failing in direction.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
http://www.linkedin.com/in/harisekhon