[Gllug] Installing Linux on a Mac Mini - boot sequence

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sun Sep 6 10:32:51 UTC 2009

On 6 Sep 2009, at 11:20, Richard Jones wrote:
[...]
> ("Holding Option key on boot" to get the graphical chooser doesn't
> work, although as I mentioned earlier the "Option key" is non-existent
> on any recent Mac -- I do wish the documentation would stop referring
> to non-existent keys).

Works just fine for me on this MacBook Pro. "Option" refers to the key
now marked "Alt". I presume it was renamed because there are more
users who are familiar with PCs than with pre-OSX Macs.

If it's not working, check that you're actually pressing Alt, and not
that you're pressing the Windows/Apple key because you've swapped them
in software - and maybe also the keycaps - to suit other machines you
use. I've been caught out by that before. Other things to watch out
for are dodgy USB-PS/2 dongles or keyboards that lose the initial key
press, so try tapping the key a few times before holding it down.

TTBOMK, while PPC Macs allow you to drop into the Open Firmware
command line, the Intel Macs do not have a command line present in the
EFI firmware.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk