[Gllug] Intermittent Network Loss on Centos Web Server

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 08:53:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, t.clarke wrote:

> Our main server mobo (Asus) is PCI-X   - maybe you only see it server
> motherboards?

That seems likely from my experience.

> From memory its basically PCI souped-up to 64 bits wide, but the slots
> are backwards compatible.

Backwards compatible with 32bit PCI, if you have something like a 16bit
PCI soundcard it lacks a gap in the right place and doesn't fit.  This
hit me whilst building some 1U media encoders.  Had to find expensive
soundcards (>100quid rather than <15quid) and video capture cards.  The
dell sales people didn't seem to know what PCI-X or PCIe meant.  The
only options were PCIe or PCI-X.  PCIe at the time, I think you could
only get gfx cards for, this was 3-4 years ago, so I might be wrong.

I struggled to find much even on wikipedia about this as I'd never heard
of PCI-X either, but knew of PCIe as being the thing that rendered my
AGP gfx card useless for new motherboards.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk