[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Tue Sep 8 18:54:22 UTC 2009

On Tue Sep  8 11:58 , Hari Sekhon  sent:

>Andrew Farnsworth wrote:
>> James,
>>   Have you considered taking some high level courses at university without
>> becoming a full time student?  I have done quite a bit of this and once you get
>> past the intro courses they get much more interesting and fun.
>>
>If I thought they were really good I'd consider that too.
>
>Could you recommend any?

Yes and no,
  Unfortunately I no longer live in the UK but am back in the USA... I can
recommend several here in the US (schools mainly) but as to individual courses...
not really.  One thing to remember though, with the exception of Master level or
Doctorate level thesis and research work, you will probably find that all
projects are designed to help you learn something specific rather than actually
accomplish anything useful.  As such, you may still classify it as "make work".
My personal experience though is that the make work projects for higher level
courses are at least interesting in their own right if, for no other reason, than
their difficulty.  For example, for one course I took I had to write a program
that would analyze a line drawing of a set of three dimensional objects and
determine if it was a "legal" drawing or not.  In other words, is the drawing of
a legal real world scene or is it a drawing of something that could not be
reproduced in reality?  A bit like the line drawing of the "tuning fork" that has
3 tines at the tip, but four at the base (or is that vice versa?)  An interesting
drawing, but you cannot have such a thing in reality.  A fairly useless project
but it was much more interesting than "sort these X integers".

My best suggestion is to spend some time with a professor discussing the various
classes available and find some you have an interest in.

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk