[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Thu Sep 10 10:30:43 UTC 2009

On 10/9/09 10:50, Vidar Hokstad wrote:
> Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
>> I'm not entirely sure why 'Victrorian' is being used as a pejorative
>> term.  I don't think I share the economic or social view of
>> Christopher or Hari but I think a person who lives sustainably should
>> be admired, not pilloried.
> I don't think "living sustainably" is what people have a problem with,
> but his attitudes in other messages and the assumption that what they
> have is somehow attainable for most people if only they worked harder,
> and the implicit assumption that people who run into problems in their
> life just have themselves to blame.

I don't have much to add to this discussion, I'm not sufficiently
qualified to comment on the structure of our society but I would
recommend Alain de Botton's lecture at TED which has something to say on
the topic of attitudes & success.

http://www.ted.com/talks/alain_de_botton_a_kinder_gentler_philosophy_of_success.html

Specifically he says - "You know, in the middle ages, in England, when
you met a very poor person, that person would be described as an
'unfortunate.' Literally, somebody who had not been blessed by fortune,
an unfortunate. Nowadays, particularly in the United States, if you meet
someone at the bottom of society, they may, unkindly, be described as a
'loser.' There is a real difference between an unfortunate and a loser."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk