[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Martin N Stevens budgester at budgester.com
Tue Sep 1 13:43:00 UTC 2009

2009/9/1 Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>

> On 09/01/2009 10:30 AM, - Tethys wrote:
> > At a guess, you don't have a degree. They're far from a waste of time
> > and money. Certainly at the time I did mine, a degree in computer
> > science equipped you to deal with the world of IT
>
> Fwiw, the best 'programmers' that I know are people who have a  degree
> and went through the motions of learning the process of programming via
> an academic process. There are some exceptions, but rare.
>

>From my perspective if having worked in IT mainly as sysadmin but with some
programming thrown in,
and nearly at the end of completing an OU CompSci BSc.

The degree course that I have taken has been expensive, boring and taught me
very little other than how
to write an assignment to get all the marks.

I would much rather work with someone who has an interest in what they are
doing rather than doing it
because it's a job and thats what they the degree in.  But then this is
relevant in all areas of work, I work
in a school, and there are teachers who love teaching and are good, and
there are teachers who only do it
because thats what they got thier degree in and it's a job.

Most of what is taught at secondary schools is for IT is actually business
studies but thats for another discussion.

I have found that the best way to learn is to find a mentor if you can, and
then once you have the skills share them
with other people and teach them.

As for the best programmers, thats a matter of style. Some of the cleverest
programmers code barely worked, whereas
some of the best code I have seen has come from sysadmins, In fact I totally
believe that most programmers should work
on the support desk for thier software at some point, and this is what I
find refreshing about open source software, the devs
are never usually that far removed from the end users.

Rant over.

Regards

Budgester