[Gllug] Tab-complete and cursor keys in SSH sessions?

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 10:57:41 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:

> But, as you point out, nobody ever uses it for anything other than
> printing out a terminfo entry. This is as useful a piece of naming as
> 'cat' (because *of course* what everyone would use cat for would be to
> concatenate files, because you do that *all the time*, far more often
> than you, say, view them.)

I tried sooo hard to avoid responding to this, I really did. But being
the pendant that I am, I have to point out that yes, I use cat for
concatenating files far more frequently than I use it for viewing
their contents. There are better tools for doing that. Hell, even when
I started using Unix 20+ years ago, you could use more (or pg for the
SysV inclined), and less was starting to become widely available, too.

Tet

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk