[Gllug] My kernel's got not initrd! How does it boot? Terribly.

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Apr 28 17:03:32 UTC 2010

I've recently installed Debian Squeeze on one of my development boxes,
and just for fun tried re-building the kernel (and to make it exactly
match the processors).  My changes from the standard Debian kernel
config are just:

john at cephalopod:/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.32$ diff /boot/config-2.6.32-3-*
4c4
< # Wed Feb 24 17:31:45 2010
---
 > # Wed Mar 31 12:58:51 2010
66c66
< CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=""
---
 > CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-3-cephalopod1"
268c268
< # CONFIG_MCORE2 is not set
---
 > CONFIG_MCORE2=y
270c270
< CONFIG_GENERIC_CPU=y
---
 > # CONFIG_GENERIC_CPU is not set
276a277,279
 > CONFIG_X86_INTEL_USERCOPY=y
 > CONFIG_X86_USE_PPRO_CHECKSUM=y
 > CONFIG_X86_P6_NOP=y
298c301
< CONFIG_NR_CPUS=512
---
 > CONFIG_NR_CPUS=8
john at cephalopod:/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.32$

I then built the kernel with the commands:

$ make-kpkg clean
$ CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=10 make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot --initrd kernel_image

which ran without errors and then I installed the resulting .deb.  The
odd thing is though that my new kernel has no initrd, and as a result
doesn't boot.  Is there some recent change to the kernel building process?

TIA,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk