[Gllug] Ordnance Survey OpenData

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sat Apr 3 14:49:45 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 03:11:57PM +0100, Richard Lewis wrote:
> At Sat, 3 Apr 2010 13:10:34 +0100,
> Richard Jones wrote:
> >

> > http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/opendata/
> >
> > This is interesting ...  Shirley not an example of a government
> > department doing the Right Thing and Having a Clue?
> >
> This was part of Berners-Lee's plan when he and Nigel Shadbolt
> (Shouthampton) convinced the UK government to open up their data and
> publish it online. They had an office in Admiralty Arch until about
> January!

Tim Berners-Lee's involvement explains why they have a Clue.  I
checked the license, and IANAL but it looks like it is genuinely Free.
Relatively similar to BSD-no-advertising.

I ordered (apparently at no cost) a DVD of the street map of my local
area.  I guess I'll see what arrives.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones