[Gllug] Hardware fault

Andrew Davies amd_uk at lineone.net
Mon Apr 12 11:10:17 UTC 2010

On 12/04/2010 11:31, Dylan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am faced with a machine which is *completely* un-responsive after power-up.
> There is no HD activity, no activation of the monitor from standby, and no
> beeping, although the fans run normally. I have removed or disconnected
> mouse, keyboard, DVD and HD (both SATA) and memory resulting in no change of
> response - i.e. there is no complaint of any kind about the lack of essental
> hardware. The machine's owner tells me that yesterday it spontaneously
> rebooted.
>
> Is there any way simple way to distinguish a power supply, processor or
> motherboard fault? Any suggestions would be welcome.
>
> Dx

IIRC, upon power up, the machine checks the motherboard clock, CPU and
that there's some memory present (not necessarily in that order) then
emits a single beep. You then get the video card BIOS and then the POST
screen.
If the machine is powering up (e.g. the fans spin for a few seconds) and
you're not even getting a beep, the problem is likely to be
PSU/Motherboard/CPU related.
Graphics card issues usually involve multiple beeps and a PSU problem
would, normally, mean that nothing happens (but not always).

The easiest way for most people to diagnose computer problems is to try
to eliminate any non-working part from the whole. Start with as simple a
system as possible (PSU+motherboard+CPU+power switch + one memory stick
+ graphics card + HDD) and then eliminate each part by replacing it with
a known working one.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk