[Gllug] Choosing a new motherboard

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Thu Apr 22 08:07:12 UTC 2010

"Phil Reynolds" <phil-gllug at tinsleyviaduct.com> writes:

> The time has come for me to choose a new motherboard in order to
> hopefully get rid of an annoying USB fault.
>
> This will also involve a new processor, more than likely, and possibly
> new memory too.
>
> I'm looking for one with the following features that seem to be
> lacking on my existing one:
>
> A minimum of six SATA ports, of which it should be possible to boot
> from at least five.
>
> USB 2.0 that performs well. (USB 3 is OK, but not essential.)
>
> If at all possible, powered eSATA.
>
> I need to avoid on-board VGA. I am considering processor socket AM3.
>
> If any of you have any suggestions, I will investigate them.

Sounds largely bog standard except for the SATA bits. Concentrate on
that when you're looking and ignore the presence or lack thereof of
on-board VGA. It is easier to ignore it than avoid it.

Consider PCI or PCIe cards for those extra SATA ports, especially as it
sounds like you want to RAID them and having them all on the same
controller moots that somewhat.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk